Saturday, May 28, 2011

Aussie student finds universe's missing mass

A 22-year-old Australian university student has solved a problem which has puzzled astrophysicists for decades, discovering part of the so-called "missing mass" of the universe during her summer break.

Undergraduate Amelia Fraser-McKelvie made the breakthrough during a holiday internship with a team at Monash University's School of Physics, locating the mystery material within vast structures called "filaments of galaxies".

1 comment:

Sam England said...

Hello,

I would like to know if the image of galactic filaments on this blog page is in the public domain.

Some similar images I've seen were originated at the Max Planck Institute, and others are from NASA. I assume that the ones from NASA public, but I don't know about the others.

I want to use this image, and a few similar ones, as backgrounds, for a few seconds, in an animation I am rendering. But as backgrounds only.

I'd appreciate any response to my above question.

Thank you,

Zen Galacticore